Primary Key Messages
- As a united community, the Spotswood South Kingsville Group firmly support option two to go to EES. We implore the state government and Transurban to have a collaborative planning approach to this design, rather than more inaccurate consultation.
- We feel that that this is a band-aid fix that will largely just shift the problem of truck traffic from Yarraville to Spotswood. Knowing that this build will go ahead regardless, option two is the best of a bad list.
- Any option that brings trucks closer to D.M. Reserve, Emma McLean Kindergarten or Simcock Avenue is unacceptable for traffic congestion in the local area, as well the health and well-being of our children… need to build some figures into this: how many children use the kinder, how many cars access Simcock Ave each day/week, how many people use DM Reserve? These figures will add more weight to the argument… We could effectively say something like, each week over 2,000 people from as young as 6 months to 85 (guessing!) will be affected by one of the five other options presented by Transurban. Perhaps the council can provide some figures?
- The current reference design heavily impacts Spotswood’s sports field and kindergarten. Facilities that are used by a myriad of groups daily. From grass-roots football and cricket groups, through to health and fitness specialists and local families just wanting to enjoy the only outdoor sporting facilities in the small but thriving suburb of Spotswood, any design that encroaches on this space is a travesty.
- Whilst consultation with neighbouring suburbs have been well executed, considering the immediate impacts that other options have on the local Spotswood area, consultation has been minimal to non-existent. The local residents and business groups are furious that Transurban have been reported as saying that the current level of consultation with the local community is acceptable. Consultation has been with previous lobby groups from the Maribyrnong municipality, NOT Hobsons Bay.
- This current message about the Port Rail, needs a little tweak, but I don’t know the details enough… Does the rail currently remove 3,500 or would it move that many them if the rail was improved?